This is one of the favourites at our workshop lunches.
4 x large leeks
2 x medium onions chopped
1 x stick of celery chopped
2 x medium potatoes chopped
750 ml chicken stock or water
250 ml whole milk
50 g butter
100 g frozen peas
Salt & pepper
- Discard any outer tough leaves of the leeks and cut off the root (you can use the dark green part of the leek)
- Cut the leeks lengthways then finely slice and put in colander and rinse well.
- Chop the onions, celery and potatoes.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat then add the leeks, onions, celery and potatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Give everything a good stir. Put lid on and allow to cook slowly for 15 minutes over a low to medium heat.
- Add the stock and milk and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Add the frozen peas and bring to boil and simmer for a couple of minutes more.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow to cool for 20 minutes or longer then blend with a stick blender or use a liquidiser,
- Check that seasoning is to your taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with finely chopped chives and a dash of cream .
Enjoy soup with some crusty bread or cheese scones.Back to articles