250g red lentils
1 tsp of ground turmeric
1 aubergine cubed
1 tin of plum tomatoes
2 carrots diced
1-2 chillies de seeded and finely chopped ( medium heat )
1 tin of coconut milk
1 onion chopped
1 sweet potato cubed
1 tsp of tamarind paste
1 tsp black mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
6-7 dried curry leaves
2 shallots or 1 small onion chopped
5-6 cloves of garlic
salt and black pepper
Optional Garnish chopped fresh coriander and spring onion .
- Wash lentils in cold water till water runs clear. Put lentils into cooking pot with enough water to cover lentils. Add turmeric stir and bring to boil. Remove any froth with a spoon. Simmer with the lid on the pot for 10 minutes. Be careful water does not boil away top up with little more water if needed.
- add the aubergine, onion, carrots, sweet potato and tinned tomatoes. Continue to simmer until vegetables are cooked. Add chillies, coconut milk, tamarind, salt and black pepper. Taste for seasoning. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- in a frying pan on a medium heat add 1 – 2 tablespoons of oil. Add cumin seeds , mustard seeds and watch until they begin to jump in the pan . Add in curry leaves, shallots or onion and garlic stir until onions and garlic are cooked.
- add the spice mixture into the lentil curry and stir together. Simmer for 5 minutes
- Lentil curry is now ready. Add garnish of chopped coriander and spring onion.
- Serve with sourdough bread or cooked rice.
Back to articles